Sunday, February 7, 2010

wings?....I would rather have Pizza!



Super Bowl Sunday. Now I am not usually one to sit in front of the TV and watch sports on my couch. If Syracuse is on, I'll watch it, otherwise, nah. However, there is something about Super Bowl Sunday that makes me excited to make game food and sit on the couch (with some magazines) and take party in the festivities. Most people love wings and a cold beer during the game, I prefer pizza and a glass of wine.

This weekend Washington received a crazy snowstorm. We have had over 24 inches of snow cover the Capital. I have spent the last day and a half inside my apartment cleaning, sorting through piles of magazines and catching up on much needed TV series on my DVR. I have had plenty of time to hibernate and relax. Yesterday I took out some frozen pizza dough to get ready for tonight and placed it in the fridge to thaw out. Making the dough homemade is awesome, but luckily I have a great Italian market down the street that makes amazing dough and is much easier for me! Vace, in Cleveland Park is fantastic and so inexpensive.

Place the frozen dough in a well oiled bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Let the dough thaw out in your fridge all day, when you arrive home it should be doubled in size. Remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a floured surface, gently press the air bubbles out of the dough and reshape it into a ball. Place the ball back in the bowl covered in a warm area for about 20 minutes. After about 20 minutes roll out the dough, voila! Pizza dough is ready!



There are so many toppings to place on pizzas. I feel like Pizza has come along way in America since the Pizza Hut Pepperoni and Cheese pizza I had as a kid. Thai Chicken Pizza, Goat Cheese, Smoked Salmon. Get creative! Open your cabinets and see what items you have lying around and make your new creation. I think I am going to try out this Potato Pizza tonight, it looks really yummy! I'll make sure to share pictures when it is complete.


A healthy easy pizza alternative is to use whole wheat pita bread as the crust. Whole Living magazine has a great suggestion for these pita pizzas.


I am a huge fan of veggie pizzas. Goat cheese, caramelized onions and arugula could be amazing! Maybe I will split my pizza in half with two toppings.


I hope everybody has a fun evening of pizza, wings, beer, wine, whatever it may be!


xoxo ~ Rebecca


No comments:

Post a Comment